Dungeon Keeper Online (地下城守护者OL), originally known as Dungeon Keeper World, was a MMORPG based upon the Dungeon Keeper series. It was announced on December 1st, 2008 by NetDragon Websoft Inc., an online game developer based in China. It has two modes; a land mode, and the dungeon mode, which incorporate elements of World of Warcraft and Dungeon Keeper respectively. The game was made available only in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau. The servers running the game shut down on 20 December 2013.
Like other instalments in the Dungeon Keeper series, Dungeon Keeper Online has players take on the rôle of an evil overlord seeking to build and maintain an underground dungeon empire.
The game features a "Dual Core" system, in which players can switch between the land and dungeon modes.The land mode bears little resemblance to the rest of the Dungeon Keeper series, being much more like a World of Warcraft clone. There are two races: Humans, and Demons, which are both split into males and females. There are also six classes of character: Restoration, Dual Blade, Destruction, Giant Shield, Element, and Giant Sword. Characters can be customised before starting the game in land mode. In land mode, players have to fight enemies and collect resources such as gold for use in dungeon mode. Characters can learn new skills and improve existing ones. Pots and food can be collected to recover health. Portals can appear and invite players into dungeons.
The dungeon mode is where the dungeon keeping occurs. Materials gathered in the land mode can be collected and used to construct a dungeon. Living quarters can be built to attract more minions. Like in the original Dungeon Keeper games, minions can be slapped with the Hand of Evil. Minions kept in the dungeon can be summoned for combat in land mode. Other rooms that can be constructed include the Treasure Room, Library, and Workshop, and there is also a Dungeon Heart.
Dungeon Keeper Online was announced in December 2008, after NetDragon acquired a Dungeon Keeper licence from Electronic Arts. The Chinese name was translated as Dungeon Keeper World, but this was changed to Dungeon Keeper Online in 2011. The game reached the beta stage in that year, and it was made available for testing on 11 April 2012. A US release was announced in February 2011, but doesn't appear to have materialised.
Dungeon Keeper Online uses the Scalpel 3 engine.
The servers shut down on 20 December 2013.
- Dungeon Keeper Online shares many icons (they are possibly updated versions) with Dungeon Keeper 2 (some icons are changed however), and introduces the following:
- Chuijian Trap
- Spitfire Trap
- Poison Arrow Trap
- Fireball Trap
- Watch Tower
- Furnace Room
- Alchemy Room
- Material Warehouse
- Brick Wall
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Dungeon Keeper World. MMO Culture (20 May 2010). Retrieved on 12 April 2020.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 ChinaJoy 2011 Preview – Dungeon Keeper Online. MMO Culture (27 July 2011). Retrieved on 12 April 2020.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Dungeon Keeper Online (CN) – Exclusive preview. MMO Culture (16 September 2011). Retrieved on 12 April 2020.
- ↑ 最新3d角色扮演网络游戏《地下城守护者OL》 [图] (Chinese). kaixinlu.com (18 October 2011). Retrieved on 12 April 2020.
- ↑ Max Hayman (31 May 2012). Dungeon Keeper Online Gameplay 2. YouTube. Retrieved on 12 April 2020.
- ↑ Phil Elliott (1 December 2008). EA licenses Dungeon Keeper for Chinese MMO. GamesIndustry.biz. Retrieved on 12 April 2020.
- ↑ 地下城守护者OL: 持续爆超预期 地下城守护者OL开放测试 (Chinese). thethirdmedia.com (13 April 2012). Retrieved on 16 April 2020.
- ↑ Dungeon Keeper Online confirmed for US market. MMO Culture (27 February 2011). Retrieved on 12 April 2020.
- ↑ 《地下城守护者OL》S3引擎打造HD高清画面 (Chinese). 17173.com (1 September 2011). Retrieved on 12 April 2020.
- ↑ 《地下城守护者OL》将停运 单机改编难复制成功 (Chinese). GamerSky.com (5 December 2013). Retrieved on 12 April 2020.
External Links Edit
|Dungeon Keeper Series|
| ||Dungeon Keeper (Demo) / Dungeon Keeper 2 / Dungeon Keeper 3 / Dungeon Keeper Online / Dungeon Keeper Mobile|
| ||The Deeper Dungeons / Dungeon Keeper Gold / Dungeon Keeper Premium / Dungeon Keeper Collector's Edition / Dungeon Keeper Editor / Dungeon Keeper 2 Editor|
| ||Natural Born Keeper / War for the Overworld|
| ||DK1 Editors / ADiKtEd / UnDed / DKTools / Dungeon Keeper FX / OpenKeeper|