|Appears in||Dungeon Keeper|
Skybird Trill is the 20th and final level in Dungeon Keeper.
Here we have a showdown with the Avatar, a boss-grade Hero with many loyal retainers at his beck. Their fortress squats in the center and appears to be abandoned for the time being. This is the doing of some other Keeper in the region who wants to eat your lunch, but attacking him is optional.
After being crunched for so many levels, it is good to once again be in command of ample resources and powerful creatures.
|Red Keeper (Human)|
|Starting Forces||8 Imps|
| May Attract
| May Create or Summon
|| Traps & Doors
|Starting Forces|| 5 Level 10 Imps|
Level 10 Vampire
| May Attract
| May Create or Summon
|| Traps & Doors
- Increase Level x2 - Immediately east of Red's Gold Seams, these are safe to excavate.
- Increase Level x2 - Further east is a lesser White dungeon containing these. Digging to this place is safe for the time being, but puts the Gem area and Imps more at risk during the Heroes' invasion.
- Resurrect Creature - Avatar's castle, in a corridor on the far west side
- Increase Level - In a chamber adjoining the White Dungeon Heart. This makes 5 Increase Levels that you can plan for.
- Portal beside Red Dungeon Heart
- Gem Seam - 4 open faces east of Red's location, safe to excavate
- Level 10 Horned Reaper x1 - in the Torture Chamber of the Avatar's castle, southeast end
- Level 1 Flies x4, level 1 Beetles x4 - Vermin that seem to have moved into the White dungeon after its abandonment
|Tentacle (level 10) x2||
|Tentacle (level 10) x6||
|Horned Reaper (level 10) x1 Priestess (level 10) x1||
|Avatar (level 10) x1||
This section summarizes the likely phases for this final match, considering the scripted events and how all the participants behave.
- Briefing Text
- "This realm is begging to be plunged into darkness. The Avatar himself has a castle here. Another Keeper also seeks his soul. This could get messy."
A large watery expanse, essentially a castle moat, lies to the north of Red's domain. When breached, hostile Level 10 Tentacles in the area attack. This moat and castle are vulnerable to the Blue Keeper from the north side of the map. The money is all to the east, anyway; only dig north after making some preparations.
Although the Blue Keeper can lay down Bridges— and Red cannot— he never does, and never launches attacks; as in Mistle, Blue's enormous gold reserve here (almost 2.5 million) interferes with AI aggression. Furthermore, he owns several locked Magic Doors separating his domain from the White region, so his creatures will never open them.
Nevertheless, Blue's creatures might attack and eventually claim the Avatar's fortress without any apparent effort on the Keeper's part. The threat is linked to circumstances described below, and amounts to plain bad luck.
The most problematic event is if the Blue Keeper carves out any rooms that breach the water. If that happens, his creatures can bypass his locked doors. If there is a breach, a few things will draw his creatures out:
- One of the Level 10 Imps with nothing else to do will Teleport to the Blue Dungeon's back entrance and begin claiming tiles from that location.
- And/or, a level 1 Imp will try to walk there if there is a valid path, bashing any White-owned doors in the way.
- If corpses appear somewhere, like Imps triggering traps or Red killing the Tentacles, Blue Imps will set out to drag them to the Graveyard, and will stumble onto the unclaimed Beetles and Flies, who then destroy the White Heart.
- If the Blue Keeper ever attracts a Hound, they will attack the Dungeon, as per JOB_SEEK_THE_ENEMY.
The Avatar's fortress is tricked-out with rooms, Hero Gates and invisible Hero entry points, doors, and traps. But there is virtually no garrison.
Once the White Heart is destroyed, all White-owned tiles on the map go to Dirt. All traps formerly deployed on White tiles (and there are oodles of them in the castle) are instantly deleted. Also, the Blue Keeper receives an extra Level 10 Vampire for free, out of nowhere.
- Text when White Dungeon is destroyed
- "You have destroyed the Avatar's castle but your rival has already taken the Avatar prisoner. Be that as it may, only the Keeper with the blackest heart can destroy this legendary hero, so ransack your rival's dungeon and take the prize."
Given the message that pops up when the White Dungeon collapses, the game clearly wants the player to attack the Blue Keeper right then and there. But not only is fighting Blue unnecessary, it just makes so much more sense to use the back tunnel and capture the Avatar, the boss Hero, first. He is pacing around on his own private island, surrounded by lava. He is not actually imprisoned, merely stranded in this spot.
When the Avatar is either slain or converted, a message states that he has been revived by his lieutenants. Everybody will be down here in force shortly. This invasion is the main battle in Skybird Trill- the big climax. Waves of the following Hero Parties are generated from many locations as part of this event.
- Text when White has no Avatar
- "The Avatar has been resurrected by loyal lieutenants in hiding. But their act has revealed them to us, here in this realm. Now the Avatar rallies all those who would stand against you. It's time you gave this self-righteous oaf a proper kicking, master."
A timer starts as soon as the above message appears.
- Turn 0
- Player is granted the ability to construct Bridge slabs.
- Turn 1000
- Eight parties are added to the level at this moment.
In particular, parties of Heroes will continue dumping themselves into that mysterious far corridor, the one that's been sitting there quietly since the beginning just beside the Dungeon Heart:
- Turn 1133
|"DWARF"||9 x2 9 x2||
- Turn 1366
|"DWARF"||9 x2 9 x2||
- Turn 1466
|"DWARF"||9 x2 9 x2||
- Turn 1600
|"RPG"||10 10 10 10||
|"BRUTES"||10 x2 10 x2||
|"MAGIC"||10 10 10 10||
- Victory requirements
- Slay or convert the Avatar a second time.
- Slay or imprison all other Heroes.
In the retail version of Dungeon Keeper, the Blue Keeper can be left untouched. Evidently he spends his days counting his 2.5 million gold and poses no strategic threat. In Dungeon Keeper FX, defeating Blue is mandatory, but can still be put off until after the Heroes.
The main strength for Red here is in Bile Demons, which are suddenly very numerous in the Creature Pool and can stack enormous area-of-effect damage with their Poison Cloud, and Dragons, which will be responsible for Research and can tank admirably in battle. Orcs can also be attracted after due research, and their fighting abilities make them preferable to Trolls.
The 21 Vampires in the Creature Pool, plus two Level 10s on the field for Blue, could be well-worth the effort. It is possible to raise a Level 1 Vampire, protect it with the Temple, and Scavenge Vampires from the enemy dungeon and the creature pool. Scavenging directly from the pool requires being under the Creature Limit (25) — but surely anyone would consider tossing stuff back through the portal if it meant replacing them with Vampires.
Battling with the BossEdit
The Avatar has the same Strength as a Horned Reaper, a superior hit and block rate, 1.5 times as much health, almost twice as much armor (damage reduction), and a large spell repertoire. He is immune to Boulder Traps. He is a mountain of combat ability and certainly a lot of fun if captured and brought to bear against the Blue Keeper, who really doesn't know what to do when this thing is wreaking havoc in his dungeon.
Dragons and Bile Demons are useful for wearing him down, but the unusual spell damage they produce cannot stun creatures. It is recommended to capture the Avatar using the Priestess and the two Horned Reapers that can be acquired earlier.
By the end, it's possible to get three Avatars in your employ. The first two sign on under a sufficient amount of torture, before and after the Heroes' invasion. Another, extra-secret copy is possible by setting the dungeon's attack stance to Imprison and knocking the Avatar unconscious while he is in your service (which is very tricky) and using the Resurrect Creature special.
Containing the invasionEdit
It is possible to slow the flood of heroes attacking. Of the three hero gates along the bottom edge of the map, the left and center ones can be walled off, even separated from each other. However, the right one cannot be walled off without the ability to build Bridges. While difficult and probably not worth it, this can be done by capturing a Bridge built by the Blue Keeper. Several of the other hero parties can be greatly slowed down by choking the corridors they must traverse with doors.
|"Skybird Trill— the ultimate in cute. A frown in Skybird Trill brings all the townspeople to the sufferer's door with gifts of love, fine cheer, and eternal friendship. A place where nothing can ever go wrong, or so they fondly believe..."|
|— The Mentor, Intro|
|"Longterror. The world of Skybird Trill is nothing more than a charred wreck of a nightmare. We have won a furious, vital victory, and you are ruler supreme over the whole world! What next, Master?"|
- There is a Lord of the Land in Skybird Trill. His party, "RPG", parodies the stereotypical party of roleplaying adventurers: there is the charismatic Paladin party leader Knight, the dumb tank Barbarian, DPS mage Wizard, and hot healer chick Priestess.
- The names for this level in other languages are as follows:
|Italian||Città Del Cielo|
|Chinese||太阳鸟鸣 / 鸟鸣国|
There are two known prototypes of this level in two Dungeon Keeper prototypes. In both prototypes, the level number is 22:
|9 May 1997||20 May 1997||Final (7 June 1997)|
The 9 May 1997 version has numerous other differences to the final:
- At the west of the Hero fortress is a Reveal Map instead of a Resurrect Creature, and it is guarded by a level 8 Giant.
- The Avatar is actually in the blue Prison, which is not missing its centre tile and is not surrounded by Lava.
- There are some Mountain Dwarves in the Treasure Room in the Hero fortress, a couple of Wizards in the Library, and some other heroes (including Skeletons) scattered elsewhere.
- There are no neutral Flies and Beetles at the Hero Dungeon Heart.
- Destroying the Hero Dungeon Heart gives Blue a level 10 Horned Reaper instead of a Vampire.
- There are no doors to the rooms west of the Hero Dungeon Heart.
- There are no hero Tentacles in the water south of the Hero Fortress.
- The Avatar and his army respawn at Hero Gates in the cavern to the east, instead of near the red Dungeon. he is also accompanied by a different complement of heroes, including several high-level Knights.
- Reaching Action Point 3 in the Hero fortress spawns several hero Skeletons at other Action Points in the fortress.
- Owning a Torture Chamber spawns a couple of Thieves at the Hero Gate to the north-west of the Hero Dungeon Heart.
- The Bridge is available to be researched at the beginning.
- Blue starts with only 60000 gold.
- Blue's creature limit is 35.
- There are 20 Flies, 25 Spiders, and 45 Demon Spawns in the Creature Pool. There are also 30 Orcs instead of 17, 25 Bile Demons instead of 20, but only 11 Vampires and Dragons and 20 Mistresses.
- All these creatures are available to both Red and Blue via the Portal.
- Sight of Evil can be researched by Red, and Hold Audience is available (for research) to both Red and Blue.
- All Doors and Traps (except the Lava Trap) can be manufactured.
- Hero Ghosts spawn in the fortress soon after reaching Action Point 17 (behind the door at the south-east of the fortress).
- The Portal generation speed is 700.
- Blue starts with no Imps and no creatures, and his Dungeon Heart isn't surrounded by traps.
- There is no Horned Reaper (hero or neutral) in the Hero fortress.
- This version uses a different texture set:
|9 May 1997||Final|
The 20 May 1997 version has several differences from the 9 May 1997 version:
- The Prison and its surrounding tiles and walls are now neutral.
- The imprisoned Avatar is for some reason now level 1 rather than 10.
- Blue now starts with 260000 gold.
- Hold Audience is gone.
- The Warlock and Mistress can now only be attracted by Blue.
- Flies, Spiders, and Demon Spawns are now gone from the Creature Pool. There are now 21 Dragons and Vampires (like the final) and 30 Mistress in it.
- Red and Blue's creature limit is now 35 and 40 respectively.
- The Portal generation speed is now 600, like the final.